Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hair regimen: Week 1

As promised, here is week 1 of my hair regimen.

Week 1 starts the first time that I wash my hair after a relaxer. I am currently using the following products and tools:

Products
  1. Castor oil, currently using Home Health Castor Oil
  2. Clarifying shampoo, currently using Neutrogena Clean Replenishing Shampoo
  3. Strengthening conditioner, currently using Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Breakage Defense Conditioner
  4. Moisturizing conditioner, currently using Motions at Home Moisture Plus After Shampoo Conditioner
  5. Leave-in conditioner, currently using Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In Conditioner

Tools
  1. Plastic cap
  2. Terry cloth turban
  3. Rubber gloves
  4. Microwaveable bowl

Pre-shampoo
  1. To get started, I fill a medium-sized glass bowl with water and pop it in the microwave. My microwave is very very old, so I set the timer for 4 minutes to make sure the water gets nice and hot.
  2. While the water is heating up, I work Castor oil into my hair (I started using Castor oil because my hair was looking very flat and it's supposed to make your hair thicker. FYI, the texture is a bit sticky. I wasn't expecting that when I first got it).
  3. When the water's ready, I slip on a pair of rubber gloves and pour the hot water over the terry cloth turban and squeeze out the excess water. I use the thick rubber gloves used for cleaning so that I don't scald my hands with the hot water.
  4. I put the turban put on my head then cover it with a plastic cap. This whole technique with the turban and plastic cap is a modified version of a steaming treatment that I found on the Long Hair Care Forum (LHCF).
  5. I let that sit for at least 15 minutes before shampooing.

Shampoo, deep condition and leave-in
  1. I shampoo my hair with the shampoo listed above. Nothing special there.
  2. Next, I get out of the shower and mix a strengthening and moisturizing conditioner together in a bowl and make sure to slather it on super thick from root to tip.
  3. Then I do the whole steam turban thing again and leave it for at least 15 minutes.
  4. While rinsing out the conditioner, I comb my hair out under the running water with a wide tooth comb to help prevent breakage. This is another tip that I picked up on LHCF.
  5. I finish up with a good leave-in and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment